Congratulations to this year’s Green Impact teams!
The 2019-20 Green Impact year has come to an end. 26 teams made up of more than 150 staff members reached nearly 2,000 colleagues through their sustainability actions. We also thank the 55 student volunteers trained as Green Impact Projects Assistants and Green Impact auditors for all their hard work and help with the programme.
In total, the teams completed 67 projects, and as a result we awarded 2 platinum, 6 gold, 11 silver and 7 bronze awards across the teams. Unfortunately, our Awards Ceremony, usually held in Firth Hall, had to be cancelled this year due to the current circumstances, but we still plan to celebrate the fantastic achievements of our teams later in the year.
Green Impact is our on-campus sustainability engagement programme for staff and students. This is our 11th year of running the scheme and it continues to be a key part of our sustainability strategy.
We’ve had a wide range of projects this year, focussing on different themes including energy, waste, wellbeing, transport, travel, food, communications. Below are a few examples of the work from this year’s teams.
- A second community fridge launched at Ranmoor Residences to divert food from being wasted.
- Smart Move Sheffield created a Green Living Guide for landlords and students to encourage sustainable living.
- Swap shops of clothes, books, unwanted gifts, plants and seeds to reduce the amount of waste going to landfill.
- Sustainable travel plans and challenges to support departments in making environmentally-conscious travel decisions.
- Gardens and allotments created for access to local produce, support local biodiversity and increase wellbeing.
- Student biodigester competition for the Diamond.
- Lecture series and film screenings to support the University community’s learning and understanding about environmental issues and impacts.
- Supporting local and national charities through fundraising and volunteering for a number of organisations including Food Works, Sheffield Foodbanks, Archer Project, Sheffield Shoebox Appeal, HARC, Woodland Trust and Macmillan.
- Office plants galore! Brightening up offices and departments to increase wellbeing and improve indoor air quality.
- A sustainable festive fayre which raised £669.50 for the Desert Garden Appeal.
If you’d like to find out more about the Green Impact programme or how you can get involved, email our Sustainability Projects Assistant, Alice Potter at firstname.lastname@example.org