Last week we received the fantastic news that The University of Sheffield has been awarded Silver accreditation from Hedgehog Friendly Campus.
This builds on our previous success where we were recognised as a Bronze accredited Hedgehog Friendly Campus in January 2020.
The programme, funded by the British Hedgehog Preservation Society, engages Universities across the country with a range of hedgehog-friendly actions and activities via an online toolkit. Organisations work their way through the criteria, in order of Bronze, Silver and Gold level. This year, 60 Universities submitted for accreditation, including The University of Sheffield.
Despite having to adapt to a mostly remote way of working, our group of volunteer staff and students have continued to make progress in campus improvements and actions in the community. Read about some of our highlights below:
- Organising a range of activities during Hedgehog Awareness Week, including a hedgehog baking competition judged by our Hedgehog celebrity patron Rahul Mandal!
- Installing escape routes to all our waterways on campus, ensuring a safe exit route for hedgehog visitors
- Informing private landlords and student tenants across Sheffield about hedgehog-friendly improvements they can make in their residences
- Organising two rounds of hedgehog surveys across Sheffield and uploading the results to the Big Hedgehog Map
- Taking part in and winning the national ‘Big Hog-Friendly Lockdown Litter Pick Challenge’, collecting an impressive 160 bags of litter across Sheffield, with the help of the University and wider Sheffield community
This award is in recognition of the hard work and collaboration between different departments across the University, including Estates and Facilities Management, the Landscape and Grounds team, the Residences, Student’s Union and Corporate Communications. Our student and staff volunteers have driven these efforts forward, and we’re thrilled about our next-level achievement. Our work towards Gold accreditation for next year starts now!
To find out more about Hedgehog Friendly Campus at Sheffield, check out our Facebook group and new promotional video. Join the mailing list by getting in touch with Johann at email@example.com.